Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Peace For Your Soul



John 16:33 (NLT)
I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

We certainly know from experience that following Jesus isn’t a ticket to the easy life.  In today’s scripture it seems Jesus is giving us a coping mechanism for surviving the ups and downs of life in this world.  I was curious what Jesus meant by ‘I have told you all this’, so I looked at His words to the disciples leading up to this verse.

John 16:5-7 (NLT)
But now I am going away to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking where I am going.  Instead, you grieve because of what I’ve told you.  But in fact, it is best for you that I go away.

Ah, it’s just before Judas betrays Jesus.  The disciples are bummed and Jesus tells them they’re being short sighted – not seeing the bigger picture that’s to their advantage.  The disciples can’t see past their immediate pain to see how God can turn it into good. 

That helps me paraphrase today’s scripture:  Even through tough times, trust that God is in control and Good will win.  Let this hope bring peace and contentment to your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment