Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Slump



Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NLT)
For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

Yesterday, one of my groups discussed a sermon by Bill Hybels on the seasons of life - why we’re in the current season, what lessons we’re learning and, alas, when it’s time to move on.  I had an ah-ha moment and was able to identify my season:  a slump.

My to-do list is as long as yours but I have no gumption to do any of it.  (Gumption was my mother’s word)  I feel lethargic but not depressed.  I’m craving food and eating and gaining, but am not satisfied.  I’ve felt no inspiration to blog all week.  A slump.

So in processing this (hopefully short) season, I’m wondering how I got here, what I need to learn about myself, God or the world, and when the heck can I get out of here?  And in the midst of it this morning, Biblegateway.com led me to the following scripture from Romans.

Romans 12:11 (HCSB)
Do not lack diligence; be fervent in spirit; serve the Lord.

I chuckle, then groan.  Like kids when chores need doing, Diligent and Fervent are hiding somewhere behind this hump of a slump.

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one Cathy. You helped put things into perspective. Me too. Can I have an Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Sometimes we don't like the message God sends and we'd like to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete