Friday, May 9, 2014

Even Harder


Colossians 4:5-6 (NIV) – Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you many know how to answer everyone.

Did you have any intentionally gracious and attractive conversations after reading yesterday’s post?  Good for you!  Today’s post is even more challenging because we back up one verse.  In context, the instructions for actively engaging in uniquely welcoming conversations get even harder. 

This manner of conversation isn’t reserved for our friends and the people we generally agree with.  It’s for outsiders or, as the NLT puts it, non-believers.  If that isn’t enough, it’s even more active than we first thought.  The writer tells us to make the most of every opportunity - to be at the top of our game, always. 

I firmly believe there are no coincidences.  I believe God is constantly working in the details of my life, presenting opportunities for me to bring His love to others.  I may not recognize every opportunity, but I am more alert when I am firmly connected to Him in Scripture and prayer.

So…  as God provides casual encounters with non-believers throughout each day, we must jump at every chance to draw them in with God’s unique love and acceptance.  I love that the first two words are be wise.  Just be wise, because it’s way too much to think about and analyze each individual situation.  Being wise sounds to me like a way of life – new habits that become natural – a transformation of character aligned with God’s character.

Will you accept the challenge to find a chance to draw a non-believer closer to God by letting that person taste and feel God’s delicious grace?

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment