Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Tricky Balance



Psalm 138:8 (NLT) – The Lord will work out His plans for my life – for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.

I was recently asked if I track the number of hits to my blog and friends often encourage me to work on expanding my readership.  I choose, however, not to look at the numbers very often.

This is not about me.

While I hope my words help you know Him better, it’s not about me.   I recommend any daily devotion that speaks to you.  While I want to encourage everyone I possibly can in their relationship with God, it’s the message that touches one reader that matters.  I simply try to be His hands on the keyboard.

It’s a tricky balance.

Let me be honest.  I’m afraid of pride.  I do feel called to actively expand my readership and I’m not shy about marketing Seeds of Scripture.  I also know God will nudge you to recommend particular messages and I trust He’ll give you courage to do so.  I pray for an explosion of subscribers!  However when I look at the numbers, I feel either pleased with myself or disappointed, neither of which is about God.  To remain humble, I choose to avoid the statistics.

I shifted from emailing directly to blogging for two main reasons:  so my messages are more widely accessible and so the readership is anonymous.  While I can know the number of subscribers receiving my posts, I don’t know how many read or delete.  I don’t know who subscribes or unsubscribes.  I put it all in God’s hands.  I surrender and trust this work to Him.

What do you think of this balance?

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment