Friday, June 6, 2014

Freedom!



Luke 4:18-19 (NIV) – The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.

I’m free!  I feel so energized and exhilarated!  I was a ‘prisoner’ to several deadlines these past few weeks – all good, all by choice, all full of love and joy.  However, I completely set aside many other good things.  I am a sad for a few opportunities I cannot reclaim – a reunion of 45 sorority sisters I haven’t seen in 30 years - but anxious to engage in the ones simply delayed.  I realize I can’t get it all done in one day, but I am pumped to garden, get my house in order, blog, write notes to my graduating Seniors, meet my next door neighbors (who moved in a month ago!), catch up on Facebook, and do laundry (yes, I’m even excited to hang clothes on the line).

This recent whirlwind was all good, but I’m reminded of the freedom I felt when I released some bad things in my life.  I carried around guilt, shame, and regret for many years.  I still admit I’d like to erase 10 years of my life, or even better, get a do-over.  Even when those years were behind me and I was following Jesus, I still carried the baggage.  None of the people in my ‘new life’ knew my history.  They called me the church lady.  I’d think “What if they knew the truth?”

Removing my mask was enormously terrifying, but the release from my prison was energizing and exhilarating.  I allowed spiritual friends to know the real me and they didn’t reject me!  In fact our relationships grew deeper and more authentic.  Now the shame doesn’t define who I am, it describes what I’ve overcome with God’s grace.  And God has even been able to use those experiences to help others.

Are you hiding behind a mask?  Do you have friends with whom you can be completely authentic?  How would it feel to let go of your regrets and accept God’s forgiveness?  I’d describe it as rebirth, a second chance at life, release from captivity.  Freedom!

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment