Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hiding



Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I’m making muffins this morning.  My son is a very picky eater, but he loves muffins – certain kinds.  One acceptable variety is carrot - as long as they have cream cheese frosting.  Never mind that frosting makes them more a cupcake than a muffin.  I’ll get protein and fiber into him at whatever the cost.  So I use whole wheat flour along with some high protein soy flour.  Wheat germ adds more protein while flax and apple sauce boost the fiber.  All that goodness is hiding under that cream cheese frosting.  Don’t tell!

This reminds me of God, the nurturing parent.  How so?  God wants us to be our best.  He knows what we need, even when we don’t always like it.  For example, we repeatedly hear that scripture memorization is important.  You groan, "Memorization!"  Yup, kinda like eating your veggies; we know it but we don’t like it.  What if God is sneaking His Word into our hearts even when we don’t realize it?

You know more scripture than you think.  The Lord’s Prayer is scripture.  The Golden Rule is scripture.  For God so loved the world.  Love is patient, love is kind.  In the beginning, God created.  I am the vine, you are the branches.  With God all things are possible.  For I know the plans I have for you.  See?  When did you learn all those verses?  You may not know the book and chapter (that’s what keyword searches are for!).  You may not recite them word for word, but you’re absorbing God’s Word whether you know it or not!

What other goodness is God hiding in your everyday experiences that nourish your soul?  What do you avoid that might actually help your faith grow? 

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment