Friday, June 13, 2014

Screaming!



Psalm 19:1-2 (NIV) – The heavens proclaim the glory of God.  The skies display His craftsmanship.  Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make Him known.

Indeed God provides.  When I wrote my post In Plain Sight a few days ago, I used many keyword searches trying to find this verse, but failed.  All combinations of the keywords God, reveal, glory and (whole) earth didn’t identify this Psalm.  This failure identifies a fault in my memorization technique.  My focus on understanding the verse in general rather than reciting it word for word is insufficient.  Because something about my understanding was off, I couldn’t effectively search.

So if my memorization technique focuses on content rather than precise wording, what meaning did I miss?  My understanding was that creation reveals God’s character.  Wrong?  No.  Understated, yes.

The difference between the words reveal and proclaim is volume.  God’s creation doesn’t quietly uncover God’s glory, it screams it.  God isn’t trying to hide anything.  He’s flashing neon signs of His goodness for all to see.  God is immense - greater than even our best scientific discoveries.  He is a compassionate provider of food, rest, beauty, community and joy.  God is attentive to even the smallest detail.  There is an order and a purpose to each and every thing.

What screams at you from the heavens?

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment