Monday, July 7, 2014

Let's Do It!



Psalm 34:4-8 (NLT) – I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me.  He freed me from all my fears.  Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces.  In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; He saved me from all my troubles.  For the angel of the Lord is a guard; He surrounds and defends all who fear Him.  Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him!

Enough about peas!  Let’s apply the pea harvesting principles to some scripture.

I assume you’ve read the passage.  If not, you’ve missed the point because this blog is all about God’s Word, not mine.  Now read it a second time slowly, looking for words or phrases that stand out from the rest.  Why do these phrases catch your attention?  What comes to mind:  a situation, an emotion, something you desire?

Return to the Psalm and look at the context of your phrase - the sentences before and after.  For instance, if your phrase is ‘radiant with joy’, look at the whole sentence.  Those who look to Him will be…..  Does this tell you something?  Is there a promise or an action associated with your phrase?  Could God be pointing this out to you for a reason?

Shake the scripture by reading a different translation.  The original Hebrew may have shades of meaning that aren’t completely captured by one translation.  Use a site like Biblegateway to switch easily between translations.  Does this uncover new understanding?

Turn your phrase over in your mind all day.  Consider the choice of words.  Wonder why it caught your attention.  Ask God to reveal its meaning for your life.

I’d love to know what treasure you discover!  Please comment on the blog, on Twitter, Facebook or privately.

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

#seedsofscripture #blogboost #hiddentreasure #readingscripture

6 comments:

  1. One of the best things about the Ultimate Blog Challenge is meeting people I probably would never have encountered otherwise. I find other people's lives and interests remarkable, particularly when they are so different from mine.

    Growing up in Israel I studied the Bible and the Book of Psalm in Hebrew - not from a religious perspective but as part of our Jewish culture and heritage and was lucky to have a wonderful teacher who was able to show us the beauty in the language and structure.

    I am sure you are doing the same, Cathy for your students.
    HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very interested in your study of the Psalms and the Bible as literature and Jewish culture. I'm not sure how you can do that without looking at it spiritually. Curious.

      This is my first time participating the UBC and I am enjoying the other blogs I read. I'm glad it's summer because I'm spending way too much time surfing though blogs and communicating with people I would never otherwise find. However, I am learning so much from them so it's all good.

      Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment. - Cathy

      Delete
  2. Great inspiration for this Monday morning, thank you! (I love Bible Gateway - one of my favorite tools!) Thanks for sharing your heart with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start every day with Bible Gateway's scripture for the day. It's not always what I blog about, but it is my starting point. I have accumulated many other daily devotions - perhaps too many!

      Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment. - Cathy

      Delete
  3. Lovely words, (even though I'm not religious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much truth in scripture even if you aren't practicing any religion. I believe in God the designer of the universe, so (for me), scripture hold hints about the way things should be.

      Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment. - Cathy

      Delete