Sunday, July 6, 2014

Like Hidden Treasure



Proverbs 2:3-5 (NLT) – Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.  Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures.  Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God.

I was picking peas again this morning.  Did I mention how well they hide?  Terrific camouflage!  To harvest thoroughly, I go down the row in one direction picking every fat, ripe pod I can find.  It’s a bit of a hunt.  I part the leaves and look from different angles.  I bend down for a view from below.  I push the plant, causing it to sway; the heavy pod sways differently than the vine, giving away its hiding place.  I pick every pod I see before taking up a new position because once I move, that pod may no longer be visible.

At the end of the row, I turn around and repeat these tactics on the same row from the opposite direction.  It always surprises me how many pods escape detection on the first pass.  Then, just when I think I’ve discovered all of them, I walk to the back side of the row where there are so many peas I feel like I’m starting afresh.

Picking peas is like reading scripture.

We should approach scripture just like the row of peas.  Turn it over.  Poke at it.  Consider it from different points of view.  Repeat the investigation from another side.  And when we think we have it all figured out, start afresh.  God will reveal more and more of Himself with every reading.  Search for God’s insight and understanding like you would seek out hidden treasure (or peas).

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

#seedsofscripture #blogboost #peas #hiddentreasure

3 comments:

  1. Cathy, I'm visiting from the UBC. I love it when you post right before me. I love Scripture. Your advice is so good, and so real. We can always get something new out of a text. I like to read a half-dozen translations, and see what new thoughts fall out. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement Kebba! The purpose of my blog is to get people reading scripture regularly and thereby (hopefully) developing a deeper relationship with God. I try to be quick and give people something to think about during the day. I know you probably have a devotion you connect with already, but if you need a daily reminder to spend time in scripture and my words resonate, consider subscribing or recommend my blog to others.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting with such positive encouragement! - Cathy

      Delete
  2. You're right. We tend to see things we missed the first, second, or even third times. And when we read something, we bring our own life experiences and view of the world into it. We read what we want into it, depending on where we currently are in life. So, what you read and what I read will be different, now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete