Thursday, July 10, 2014

#otherpeoplies



Romans 12:9 (NLT) –Don’t just pretend to love others.  Really love them.

God has gone and done it again.  There’s a story behind this blog that I’ll share tomorrow.  Today let’s look at this scripture.

I embarrass my children.  I’m comfortable striking up conversation with pretty much anyone.  One of my favorite activities is to offer to take photos for strangers (with their camera of course – using my camera would be creepy).  As I walk the beach and see a family trying to capture the moment, I offer to get everyone in the picture.  If a couple is trying to take a selfie at a beautiful vista, I walk right over so the couple and the scenery can be in proper proportion (not just giant faces).  It’s just one of my joys.  Being friendly feels good.

Kid President reminded me with his Facebook post about #otherpeoplies.  His message is in line with God’s desire for our behavior.  While some people are naturally very outgoing, many are pretty self absorbed.  Our social media culture promotes self importance by encouraging us to share selfies, our check-in location, and photos of our dinner choice. 

Even though people’s reactions to my behavior indicate they consider me weird or suspicious, I won’t stop being #otherpeoplie.  I certainly won’t stop embarrassing my children.  God wants us to love others, to validate their existence and wish them well.  Give it a try and see for yourself that being friendly feels good.  If you want to have some fun keeping score of responses, try The Elevator Game to encourage friendliness.

Check back tomorrow for the story of how this post came to be.

To comment, click the title at the top of this email then comment at the bottom of the blog.  If you'd like to comment privately, you can email me at papachung3@aol.com.

#seedsofscripture #blogboost #selfie #otherpeoplies

3 comments:

  1. It's never embarrassing to love others, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good to be friendly and outgoing! If everyone is absorbed with themselves, society would lose it's meaning. Keep doing what you are doing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word #otherpeoplie. lol God definitely wants us to encourage and notice other people.
    Thank you for the great reminder. Now I'm going to go embarrass my children, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete