Friday, August 8, 2014

Nourishing



1 Timothy 4:6 (NLT) – If you explain these things to the brothers and sister, Timothy, you will be a worthy servant of Christ Jesus, one who is nourished by the message of faith and the good teaching you have followed.

I’m tired, not physically tired, although I feel that too.  I mean tired in my soul, which definitely leads to physical fatigue as well.  You too?  Right now I need to recharge my batteries, rejuvenate my soul.

For me, this usually requires quiet time alone with my thoughts away from my own environment.  The distraction of even thinking of routine tasks prevents me from nourishing my soul.

Nourishing.  That’s the word that flashes at me in neon.  Timothy was nourished by the message of faith.  God’s faithfulness fills my cup too, even when I’m home amid the daily routine.  When I read inspiring Christian authors and absorb their passion, my enthusiasm increases.  When I open my eyes to God-incidences, His hand in my life invigorates me.  When I spend time among spiritual friends I gain perspective and encouragement.  All these things take intentionality and time.

I’m heading to the beach next week and hope to get a good dose of nourishment.  However, I need to make more time to feed my soul at home too.

What nourishes your soul? (click to tweet)

Do you have a moment to read the context of today’s verse?  Click on the scripture reference to link to a longer portion at Bible Gateway.

Do you need a daily reminder to reflect on God’s Word?  Follow me on Twitter @Cathy_Chung or subscribe at Seeds of Scripture to receive an email with a short bit of scripture to ponder.

#seedsofscripture #spiritualnourishment #NewSmyrna #spiritualfriends

2 comments:

  1. hmm ... I do laundry ... the rhythm of the "manual" work allows my mind to let go; when I have piles of fresh laundry I feel productive ...
    You know, Cathy, when I think about it, much of my life is about nourishing my soul. It involves engaging with positive people who enrich me rather than negative ones who drain me; it's about doing work I love; it's about reading and following my curiosity which takes me on awesome adventures! HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, you definitely have the right perspective - to make everyday life nourishing. Usually mine is too, but for some reason my tank is getting low. I haven't had a vacation yet, I don't teach classes and most of my fellowship in online in the summertime. The other factor is that I focused on the blog challenge in July instead of pleasure reading. It was productive. I learned a lot and I connected with some great people (like you), but it wasn't relaxing. No regrets, just looking forward to the beach next week.

      Delete