Saturday, August 23, 2014

When I Slip



Psalm 94:18-19 (NLT) – I cried out, “I am slipping!” but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.  When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.

We’ve all had heightened awareness of depression since the death of Robin Williams.  There have been calls for increased kindness and understanding for others since people often struggle privately.  I believe a strong faith and authentic faith community can also help the depressed.

The Preacher’s Word, a blog I follow, recently posted the following after a series of articles addressing the causes of depression: 
http://thepreachersword.com/2014/08/22/victory-over-depression/

Sign-ups for my online study of Esther are open!  The 8 week study begins 9/1.  Click for more info.

Do you need a daily reminder to reflect on God’s Word?  Follow me on Twitter @Cathy_Chung or subscribe at Seeds of Scripture to receive an email with a short bit of scripture to ponder.

#seedsofscripture #Depression #Godsunfailinglove #hope #psalms

4 comments:

  1. Indeed Cathy, we all need increased dosages of kindness and compassion. And yes, an outreached helping hand when we are slipping. Your post reminds me of a discussion I had once a long time ago with a psychologist, who claimed that we should help those who reach out for help. I couldn't get it across to him that sometimes, people are in such despair they cannot reach out - just like when slipping. Your arms are flying all over the place, that's why we need others to catch us!

    Thank you for the reminder! HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suffer from depression and before I got help, I would climb into a hole when I was down. Only through the help of a friend who recognized my symptoms did I get help. Compassion and kindness should be a way of life for all!

      Delete
    2. We as humans learn from others tragedys. As a young person, we find out the consequences of driving too fast when a friend dies. I learned that death can come as early as a young person when a college room mate went sailing and never retuned. We learn of diseases that can be controlled with doctor visits when friends and acquaintances die from heart attacks and cancer and teach us to take better care of ourselves. Robin Williams was beloved by all as his life is bigger than our lives. Depression is a mental disease and we all have a hard time understanding mental problems. We know when to react when blood flows We tend to brush off mental illness problems but they are just as serious as those when blood is involved.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Depression is a disease and I believe the stigma of depression is beginning to fall away so people more often get help. When someone is is a depressed state, it often takes someone else to rescue and give them the courage to seek help. This is where kindness, compassion, and faith community can be very helpful

      Delete