Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Calm



Proverbs 12:16 (NLT) – A fool is quick tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted.

According to this proverb, are you foolish or wise?

What does it take to be wise?

Personally, my ability to remain calm has increased in proportion to my trust in God.  It’s not my belief in God that gives me inner peace, but my leaning in, trusting His character and promises, realizing there is Truth in His way.  Insults still hurt; I’m less likely to strike back.

When I use willpower and self-control to breathe deeply during conflict, the conversation in my head is still full of what I’d like to say that wouldn’t be very Christian.  I’m just holding it in.  But as I have come to know God more personally, I know how much He loves me.  The insult doesn’t change my worth in His eyes.  I’m more open to see a shred of truth, if there is one, or to forgive if unfounded.  God knows.  God sees.  He is with me and He will deal with my accuser.

Perhaps it is true that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom”
(Psalm 111:10).

Do you need a daily reminder to reflect on God’s Word?  Follow me on Twitter @Cathy_Chung or subscribe at Seeds of Scripture to receive an email with a short bit of scripture to ponder.

#seedsofscripture #fearoftheLord #wisdom #foolish

No comments:

Post a Comment