Tuesday, March 10, 2015

At the Half-way Mark



Job 11:13 (NLT) If only you would prepare your heart and lift up your hands to Him in prayer!

We’ve reached the half way mark. 

Lent is half over.  How is your preparation for the crucifixion?  Have you made intentional efforts to connect with God or reflect on your life? 

I haven’t spent as much dedicated time with God as I’d like.  I’m fasting from TV and Facebook but haven’t had much time for it anyway.  The hour of unwinding before bed is the most challenging.  Instead of mind-numbing channel surfing, I’ve been reading faith blogs.  Suzie Larsen’s Daily Blessings are particularly moving.

Oddly, I spent the most time contemplating my relationship with God over 4 days of non-stop cooking for an event.  While I washed, chopped, and stirred, I listened to sermons by Bill Hybels, pastor of Willow Creek Church in Chicago.  I was lifted, energized and inspired while also keeping pace with my duties. 

One message highlighted the power of your schedule to improve your life by writing commitments in ink.  Choose your service and write ‘church’ in ink on your calendar.  Sign up for a Bible study or small group, block off that time, and don’t let anything push it around.  If you need to conquer a weight problem or addiction, find a gym/meeting and attend every time.  Your life will change.  Your relationship with God will improve.

There are still 3 more weeks of Lent.  If you started Lent with good intentions and failed, or haven’t recognized Lent at all, it’s not too late to commit time to God in ink.

Will you spend intentional time with God at the cross these next 3 weeks?

Like a productive garden, a rich relationship should be tended regularly.  To be reminded to plant His Word in your heart, follow me on Twitter @Cathy_Chung or subscribe at Seeds of Scripture.

#seedsofscripture #Lent #fasting #timewithGod #willowcreekchurch @BillHybels

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the reminder to spend time with God. I get up early to do this but it seems that it is not enough time.

    ReplyDelete